- E: Andrew.Benjamin@monash.edu
- P: 03 9903 4635 (Centre for Comparative Literature)
- P: 03 9905 2152 (ECP)
- School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies
I am a graduate of Universities in Australia, France and the UK. My predominate area of interest is philosophical aesthetics. With that domain the areas on which my work concentrates are painting and architecture.
For copies of many of my publications go to: http://monash.academia.edu/AndrewBenjamin
Specifically the Pre-Socractics, Tragedy and Ancient Aesthetics.
19th and 20th Century European Philosophy
Specifically, Hegel, Heidegger, Walter and Benjamin.
Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art
Specifically, Architecture, Painting and Sculpture.
- The Actuality of Romanticism (2010-2011), Go8-DAAD – Australian German Joint Research Co-operation Scheme.
- Staging Sappho: investigating new methodologies in Classical Performance Reception (2009), Australian Research Council.
- Persuasive Force: The Role of Aesthetic Experience in Moral Persuasion (2009), Australian Research Council.
- Imagining the Great Southern Land: Utopia, Dystopia and Science Fiction in Australia (2007), Australian Research Council.
- Demanding the impossible: Utopianism in Philosophy, Literature and Science Fiction (2005), Australian Research Council.
- Between the Outback and the Sea: The Place of Cosmopolitanism in Contemporary Australia (2004), Australian Research Council.
- Benjamin, A. (2010) Place, Commonality and Judgment: Continental Philosophy and the Ancient Greeks.London, New York, Continuum Books. Pages 1-196.
- Benjamin, A. (2006) Style and Time: Essays on the Politics of Appearance. North Western University Press. Pages 1-167.
- Benjamin, A. (2004) Disclosing Spaces. On Painting. Manchester, Clinamen Press. Pages 1-141.
- Benjamin, A. (1997) Present Hope. Philosophy, Architecture, Judaism. London, Routledge. Pages 1-180.
- Benjamin, A. (1993) The Plural Event. London, Routledge. Pages 1-211.