Born in the south of Spain, I grew up in Madrid, where I completed a Licenciatura (five year degree) in Spanish and Latin American Literature (Universidad Complutense, 1985-1990). After completing my (then compulsory) military service, I became Spanish Lector, first at the Correspondence School (Wellington, New Zealand, 1992), and then at La Trobe University (Melbourne, 1993-1996). At La Trobe I completed a MA by research on Spanish writer Carmen Martin Gaite, and, most importantly, I realized I wanted to be an academic.
I then went to Dublin City University (1997-2002), where I rediscovered my passion for all things Cuban, and started a PhD that completed back at La Trobe (2002-2013). Thanks to a number of grants, I was able to travel to Havana four times while writing my PhD, which would eventually be published as a monograph.
In July 2013 I joined Spanish and Latin American Studies at Monash University.
- PhD (October 2008, La Trobe University. Awarded “With merit” distinction by Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University.
- Master of Arts (research), La Trobe University, 1996.
- Curso de Adaptación Pedagógica (Diploma of Education), Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1991
- Licenciado en Filología Española, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, (1985-1990)
- Effective Teaching for Higher Learning: Practical Research-based Strategies, La Trobe University, 2009.
- Effective Use of the Internet in Language Teaching. What and How, The Graduate School of Teaching and Learning (ILO), Universiteit van Amsterdam, The Amsterdam – MaastrichtSummerUniversity, Amsterdam, 2001
- Las tareas, aproximación al método desde la práctica (Task based Methodology: A Practical Introduction), Instituto Cervantes, Dublin, 1998.
- Curso de Formación de Profesores de Español (Professional Training for Teachers of Spanish as a Second Language), International House, Madrid, 1997.
- Curso de Profesores de Español como Lengua Extranjera (Intensive Course for Teachers of Spanish as a Foreign Language), Universidad de Salamanca, 1994.