My research centres on contemporary Cuban literature and society, mostly from the beginning of the Special Period (1990s) until today. I am currently working on a monograph on Cuban crime fiction, and I have also published on the representation of Afro-Cuban characters (and, in general, racial issues in contemporary Cuba). I am also interested in internet politics, as well as on Spanish writer Carmen Martín Gaite. In collaboration with a demographer, I am researching on the Cuban community in Australia, a pilot project for a major one on Latin American immigration to Australia.
- Cuban crime fiction (Policial revolucionario, Leonardo Padura, Lorenzo Lunar, Amir Valle, etc.)
- Racial representations in contemporary Cuban literature (Afro-Cuban and Chinese)
- Subaltern Studies
- Internet Politics (socialization of internet, internet penetration, the Cuban blogosphere)
- Carmen Martín Gaite
Current Research Projects
I am currently working on two projects:
- A monograph on Cuban crime fiction
- A study of the Cuban community in Australia
For more information, please go to my Academia.edu page.