Colleen Murrell is the undergraduate coordinator for Journalism.
In 2017 she is teaching the following postgraduate units:
- APG5547 – Studio Production
- APG5640 – Journalism in Society
- APG5653 – Journalism Futures: New York Field School
Before arriving at Monash, Colleen was a senior lecturer at Deakin University in Melbourne where she chaired undergraduate Television and Radio and postgraduate International News units. She is the recipient of a national teaching award – the Australian Learning and Teaching Council ‘Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning’ ($10,000), and a Deakin University Award for Teaching Excellence ($5,000).
Colleen supervises the following research degree projects:-
- Principal supervisor for PhD candidate Prabavathy Bangaroo for her project ‘Australian Newspaper coverage of the Afghanistan War: A Comparative Content Analysis.‘
- Associate supervisor of PhD candidate Han Leong Chang, whose project is titled, ‘Mainstream newspapers in Malaysia: Impact of the online alternative media.‘
- Principal supervisor for PhD candidate Nicole Gooch for her project ‘Politics of climate change, financialisation and conservation of forests in the Pacific Islands.’
- Associate supervisor for PhD candidate Britta Jorgensen, whose project is titled, ‘Australia’s emerging independent podcast producers: A practice-led approach to researching radio at the intersection of narrative journalism and cultural entrepreneurship.
- Principal supervisor of Master’s candidate Paul Ionescu: ‘The Gonzo era 40 years on: telling it like it is.’