- E: Denise.Formica@monash.edu
- P: 03 9905 8458
- Room 304. Menzies Building, 20 Chancellors Walk, Clayton Campus
- School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics
After completing her Bachelor of Arts, Denise moved overseas and spent 15 years in Rome where she worked as an English-Italian interpreter/translator in diplomatic missions as well as in the International Division of one of Italy’s largest banks.
On her return to Australia she gained her NAATI accreditation in 1991 and now combines her research and academic interests with her freelance interpreting practice, mainly in the aged care and community health domains. Denise has taught in Italian Studies as well as Translation Studies at Monash and is a member of the Vic/Tas committee of AUSIT. She was awarded her PhD studies in Translation Studies in 2010.
- BA (Monash University)
- BLitt (Hons) (Monash University)
- PhD (Monash University)
- NAATI Professional Interpreter (English/Italian)
Denise’s doctoral thesis entitled Translating Australia: the Case of Australian Literary Fiction in Italian Translation examined the ways in which notions of Australianness are constructed locally and then translated and published for international audiences.
Her research interests are directed towards a sociological approach to translation, an emerging field in the translation studies discipline.
(with Rita Wilson and Danielle Rossi) The Status of Teaching of Italian and Italy-linked Subjects in the Education and Research Sectors and Relevant Library Holdings within Australia. Report prepared for Italian Trade Commission, Sydney, April 2006, 89 pp.
- Nation, Narration and Translation: the Construction of an Australian Literary Archive in Italian. Journal of the Association for the Study of Australian Literature, Special Issue: Archive Madness, September 2011
- Mediation at Work: Tim Winton’s Fiction in Italian Translation. Southerly 71.1 2011, (available on line atLong Paddock)
- Mesas and Muses: The Effectiveness of Translation Strategies in the Transfer of Culturally Specific References in Tim Winton’s Dirt Music. Literature and Aesthetics, Vol 17, No. 2, December 2007, pp.154-173
- Translating Reality (Excerpt of translation of Italian novel): Colloquy, Issue 13, 2007.
- Formica, Denise and Mirna Cicioni: Translating idiolects. MULP Vol.5, Issue 1, November 2006, pp. 17-25