Editor-in-Chief: International Journal of Language and Culture (John Benjamins Publishing)
Associate Dean (Graduate Research), Faculty of Arts, Monash University
Professor Farzad Sharifian holds the Chair in Cultural Linguistics at Monash University. He has made significant contributions to the development of Cultural Linguistics as a multidisciplinary area of research. He has received multiple awards for his research, teaching, and postgraduate supervision, including the Edith Cowan University’s Research Medal and the Award for Excellence in Early Career Research of the Year, Faculty of Arts, Monash University (2008). He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow of the Australian Research Council at the University of Western Australia before joining Monash University in 2005. He has widely published in many international journals and edited books. reviews of Sharifian, F. (2011). Cultural Conceptualisations and Language: Theoretical Framework and Applications. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Recent Awards and Honours
2014-2016 President: Applied Linguistics Association of Australia (ALAA)
2013 Supervisor of the Year (Dean’s Award for Excellence in Higher Degree by Research Supervision), Faculty of Arts, Monash University.
2013-2015 Board of Directors, International Association for World Englishes (IAWE)
- Opening Keynote Address of the First International Conference of Cultural Linguistics (ICCL2016), Prato, ItalyProfessor Farzad Sharifian delivers the opening Keynote Address of the First International Conference of Cultural Linguistics (ICCL2016), Prato, Italy. Watch the Keynote Address online Read more
- Professor Farzad Sharifian has recently been appointed as the Chair in Cultural Linguistics at Monash, the first appointment of its kind in the world, establishing ... Read more
- Cultural Linguistics is a multidisciplinary field of research that explores the relationship between language and cultural conceptualisations. The opening keynote address of the First International ... Read more
- Professor Farzad Sharifian has been awarded the Faculty of Arts Dean’s Award for Excellence in Higher Degree by Research Supervision for 2013. This is a ... Read more
- Professor Farzad Sharifian, Director of the University’s Language and Society Centre, has been awarded a prestigious Humboldt Fellowship for Experienced Researchers by the Alexander von ... Read more