George Van Doorn is a lecturer and an Early Career Researcher (ECR) in Psychological Studies at Monash Gippsland. He has several publications in sensory integration, temperature perception, and active and passive touch. Although he is an ECR, George is well respected domestically and internationally thanks to several peer-reviewed publications, an emerging record of successful competitive grant applications, and several radio and print media interviews. George has developed collaborative links with both international (i.e., Oxford University) and domestic (i.e., Monash Medical Centre) colleagues to integrate the psychophysical study of touch with simulated environments.
Expert commentary in the media
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Stewart, S. (2012, August). Stimulating the brain through touch. Churchill & District News
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Mercer, S. (2011, August). Temperature perception. The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead
- Van Doorn, G.H., & MacFarlane, R. (2010, May 27). Some great articles on evolution. The Latrobe Valley Express.
- Trounson, A. (2009, October 14). Joining DoTS from dropout to don. The Australian
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2009, May 29). Monash virtual temperature discovery. The Latrobe Valley Express
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2008, November 6). High school drop-out’s academic success. The Latrobe Valley Express
- Mascall, S. (2004, August 30). You’re only as cold as you feel. The Age
- Valentine, J. (2011, June 8). Afternoon Show. ABC Sydney.
- Schulz, P. (2009, September 23). The Black Arts Show. Gippsland FM
- Callinan, G. (2009, June 4). Morning show. ABC Gippsland
- Callinan, G. (2008, October 28). Morning show. ABC Gippsland
- Lancaster, K. (2004, August 5). Brainwave monitor. Win News
- Fernanda, S. (2003, September 5). Virtual view. Win News.
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Stewart, S. (2012, July). Stimulating the brain through touch. Health Canal (http://www.healthcanal.com/brain-nerves/30906-Stimulating-the-brain-through-touch.html).
- Van Doorn, G.H., & Lester, A.M. (2010, August). Academic profile. Off-Campus Connection (http://offcampusconnection.monash.edu.au/newsletter/2010/newsletter20100720.pdf).
- O’Loughlin, S., Van Doorn, G.H., & Prendergast, C. (2009, July 15). Teeing off for science. Monash Memo
- O’Loughlin, S. (2009, May 27). Temperature in a virtual world. Monash Memo
- O’Loughlin, S. (2008, November 5). 60 seconds with…George Van Doorn. Monash Memo