Professor Jenny Hocking is Research Coordinator in the School of Journalism, Australian and Indigenous Studies, and a Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia. She is a well-known biographer and a highly regarded scholar and commentator on Australian politics, counter-terrorism and security matters. Professor Hocking was the foundation Head of the School of Journalism, Australian and Indigenous Studies.
Gough Whitlam: His Time, the much-anticipated second volume of Professor Hocking’s two-volume biography of the former Labor Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam was published in 2012 Melbourne University Publishing/Miegunyah Press).
The first volume, Gough Whitlam: A Moment in History, was published by Melbourne University Publishing in 2008 and was short-listed in several national literary awards including the Margarey Medal for Biography and the Prime Minister’s Literary Awards.
- Gough Whitlam: His Time (MUP 2012), the second volume of Professor Jenny Hocking’s two-volume biography of the former Labor Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, has been shortlisted for the 2013 Queensland Literary Awards, one of 5 books shortlisted for the University of Queensland Non-Fiction Award. Details of the short-lists and the judges comments can be found at: http://www.queenslandliteraryawards.com/2013-shortlists.html “This definitive biography ... Read more
- Professor Jenny Hocking’s latest book, Gough Whitlam: His Time, was shortlisted for the National Biography Award. Professor Peter Fitzpatrick won the award for his double biography, The Two Frank Thrings published by Monash University Publishing. Read more
- Professor Jenny Hocking’s latest book, Gough Whitlam: His Time has been shortlisted for the Australian History Prize in the 2013 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards. This is the final volume in her acclaimed two-volume biography of the former prime minister. Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Arts Minister Tony Burke made the announcement. Read more
- ‘Now it’s Abbott with questions to answer…’ Professor Jenny Hocking’s recent opinion piece for The Drum analyses the use of parliamentary Question Time by the Opposition to air claims about Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s work as a lawyer 20 years ago. Read more
- The second volume of Professor Hocking’s definitive biography of former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam draws on never-before-seen archival material and extensive original interviews to throw new light on a tumultuous period in Australian history. Gough Whitlam: His Time (Melbourne University Publishing/ Miegunyah Press, 2012) follows the acclaimed first volume published in 2008/09. Read more