I am Associate Professor in journalism in the School of Media, Film and Journalism, MFJ, at Monash University. In the journalism section I hold the roles of research coordinator and deputy section head. I teach Journalism Law and Ethics and Investigative Reporting at undergraduate and post graduate levels and supervise honours, Masters and PhD students. My main research areas are Freedom of Information, access to information and media accountability, journalism ethics and reporting climate change and the environment.
I will also supervise post graduate students in the following areas:
- Information access and WikiLeaks
- Freedom of speech and public interest issues
- Business and financial reporting
- Political reporting
- Reporting climate change
- Reporting war and conflict
This blog describes my research and will also contain analysis and comment pieces related to my areas of interest. In the publications menu you will find some of my journal articles in full text version and links to those available on-line.
- Australian Journalism Review – Vol 38 Issue 1 (Jul 2016) with Steve Lillebuen and Philip Chubb This study examines the media’s practice of revealing the names of ... Read more
- Australian Journalism Review – Vol 38 Issue 1 (Jul 2016) The past seven years have seen major reforms of half the Freedom of Information (FOI) laws ... Read more
- More than 100 Monash journalism student reporters contributed to the coverage of the recent marathon Australian general election campaign. I was the Monash campus and ... Read more
- Monday April 11 saw a new chapter in Australian policy making. As part of Australia’s commitments to the Open Government Partnership (OGP) (a 70 country ... Read more
- My latest piece on the state of the federal freedom of information system is published in the Conversation. In a year and a half the Abbott ... Read more
- Images are powerful. They can shift the tide of history. The naked Vietnamese girl running away from American napalm bombings (1973) changed public opinion on ... Read more