I am Senior Lecturer in journalism in the School of Media, Film and Journalism, MFJ, at Monash University. I am the research coordinator and deputy head of the journalism section in the school. I teach Journalism Law and Ethics at undergraduate and post graduate levels and supervise honours and PhD students. My main research areas are Freedom of Information, access to information and media accountability, journalism ethics and reporting climate change and the environment.
I will also supervise post graduate students in the following areas:
- Information access and WikiLeaks
- Freedom of speech and public interest issues
- Business and financial reporting
- Political reporting
- Reporting climate change
- Reporting war and conflict
This blog describes my research and will also contain analysis and comment pieces related to my areas of interest. In the publications menu you will find some of my journal articles in full text version and links to those available on-line.
- More than 100 Monash journalism student reporters contributed to the coverage of the recent marathon Australian general election campaign. I was the Monash campus and ... Read more
- Monday April 11 saw a new chapter in Australian policy making. As part of Australia’s commitments to the Open Government Partnership (OGP) (a 70 country ... Read more
- My latest piece on the state of the federal freedom of information system is published in the Conversation. In a year and a half the Abbott ... Read more
- Images are powerful. They can shift the tide of history. The naked Vietnamese girl running away from American napalm bombings (1973) changed public opinion on ... Read more
- ‘In the fallout of the 2008 global financial crisis, the financial media were criticised for failing to fulfil a watchdog role, for boosting the global ... Read more
- REPORTING THE GLOBAL FINANCIAL CRISIS A longitudinal tri-nation study of mainstream financial journalismMy latest article in Journalism Studies with colleagues Sophie Knowles and Gail Phillips. Abstract: During the Global Financial Crisis (GFC) of 2008, the financial press attracted criticism ... Read more
- The ABC’s Media Report covered a recent study with colleagues Sophie Knowles and Gail Phillips on reporting the boom and bust cycles of the 1990s ... Read more