Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- Professor of Philosophy, Washington University in St. Louis, 2004 –
- Paul B. Freeland Professor of Philosophy, Davidson College, 1987 – 2004
- Professor of Philosophy, Virginia Commonwalth University, 1979 – 1986
- Visiting appointments at Brown University and the University of Rochester
- Research appointments at Cornell University and the Unviersity of California, Berkeley.
- From an Ontological Point of View (Oxford, 2003)
- Philosophy of Mind: A Guide and Anthology (Oxford, 2004)
- Philosophy of Mind: A Contemporary Introduction, 2nd ed. (Routledge, 2004).
Work in Progress
- ‘Thought with and without Language’
- ‘Making sense of the Senses’.
Metaphysics, philosophy of mind, epistemology.