Hi, I’m John Tebbutt
Senior Lecturer in the School of Media, Film and Journalism at Monash University, Melbourne
I’ve had 20 years experience teaching and research in Australian universities. Supervision of doctoral students includes projects on media in Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand as well creative production in radio and audio. I’m a former president of the Australian New Zealand Communication Association (2007-8). Success in national competitive grants includes a current Australian Research Council Discovery Grant (DP140102514 – 2014-2016) which is a collaboration with Macquarie University to research the history the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Radio National network.
I’m active on editorial boards for ‘Media International Australia’ (7 years), ‘Communication, Politics and Culture’ (4 years) and an Associate Editor for ‘The Radio Journal; international studies in broadcast and audio media’ and on the Editorial team for ‘Continuum; a media and cultural studies journal’. Published work has appeared in journals such as Media, Culture and Society, Media History and I’ve produced research-based radio broadcasts for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation programs including Hindsight and The Night Air. [See my Recent Publications].
Research and supervision interests:
Cultural histories of radio, sound and audio media; Public service broadcasting; Transnational media; Cultural studies; Poststructuralism; Communication research methods.
ARC Research Funding
- CURRENT – ARC Discovery Grant 2014-2017: ARC Discovery Grant 2014- 2016: ‘Cultural Conversations: A History of ABC Radio National’, ($271,000) (DP140102514), collaboration with Macquarie University (administering).
- ARC Discovery Grant 2007-2009: A history of the ABC in Asia and their role in cultural exchange (1956-2006), ($209,000), Sole Chief Investigator.
- ARC Linkage Grant: 2004-2008: A great and crying need – a history of Kew residential services, ($380,000), Research Associate. Project partners Department of Human Services Victoria, Kew Residential Services.
Recent invited presentations:
- Chair, Early Career Researcher’s Workshop, Australian New Zealand Communication Association, July 8, 2014.
- Research Unit in Media Seminar Series, Monash University, presentation, ‘Tender Intimacies: Power, Proximity and Personalities in Australian Transnational Broadcasting’, April 8, 2012.
- Vietnam Digital Design and Creative Industries Forum, presentation, ‘Public Service Broadcasting as Infrastructure for Social and Industrial Transformation’, Ho Ch Minh City, October 4-5, 2012.
- Australia Media Traditions Conference, Keynote Panel –Histories, Transnational Media and Asia, presentation, ‘Australian Television International: a history’, Swinburne University, 22-23 November, 2011