Kirsten McLean is a Senior Lecturer in Sociology in the School of Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts. She has a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and a PhD, both from Monash University, and a Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary) from The University of Melbourne. Prior to coming to Monash in 2000, Kirsten taught in the TAFE sector for three years. Her PhD thesis, completed in 2003, examined the lives of 60 Australian bisexual men and women.
Kirsten has won a number of teaching awards, including a Faculty Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning in 2015 and a Vice-Chancellor’s Citation in 2016. In 2017 she was awarded a Vice Chancellor’s Diversity and Inclusion Award for her work with the LGBTIQ community at Monash.
Kirsten also holds several leadership roles across the Faculty and university:
- Deputy Associate Dean, Education (Student Experience), Faculty of Arts
- Honours Convenor, Faculty of Arts
- Associate Chair, Monash University Human Research Ethics Committee (MUHREC)
- Deputy Chair, Monash Diverse Genders and Sexualities (DGS) Advisory Group.
She is also a member of The Australian Sociological Association (TASA) and the Higher Education and Research Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA).
- Dr Kirsten McLean has been awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Diversity and Inclusion during Diversity and Inclusion Week. Read more
- Read more about the “Inclusive Education Guidelines – Diverse Genders and Sexualities” developed by the Monash Diverse Sexualities and Genders Advisory Group, of which Kirsten is Deputy Chair. Read more
- Kirsten’s 2016 citation for inclusive teaching has been showcased in the Monash newsletter, The Insider Read more
- Read an interview with Dr Kirsten McLean about teaching sexuality, inclusion, and what motivates her teaching. Read more
- Dr Kirsten McLean has been awarded a 2016 Vice-Chancellor’s Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning for her continued work building inclusive and positive learning environments for all students. Read more
- Dr Kirsten McLean has been awarded a 2015 Faculty of Arts Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning. Read more