Professor Michael Selgelid is Director of the Centre for Human Bioethics and the World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Bioethics therein. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the International Association of Bioethics and member of the Scientific Committee of the Brocher Foundation in Hermance (Geneva), Switzerland. He serves on the Ethics Review Board of, and has been involved in an Ethics Consultation Project with, Médecins Sans Frontières.
His main research focus is public health ethics—with emphasis on ethical issues associated with biotechnology and infectious disease. He has well over 100 publications in bioethics. He co-authored Ethical and Philosophical Consideration of the Dual-Use Dilemma in the Biological Sciences (Springer 2008) and co-edited On The Dual Uses of Science and Ethics: Principles, Practices, and Prospects (ANE E Press 2013); Ethics and Security Aspects of Infectious Disease Control: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (Ashgate 2012); Emergency Ethics (Ashgate 2012); Infectious Disease Ethics (Springer 2011); Health Rights (Ashgate 2010); and Ethics and Infectious Disease (Blackwell, 2006).
He edits a book series in Public Health Ethics Analysis for Springer and a book series in Practical Ethics and Public Policy for ANU E Press. He is Co-Editor of Monash Bioethics Review and an Associate Editor of Journal of Medical Ethics.
Michael earned a BS in Biomedical Engineering from Duke University; and a PhD in Philosophy from the University of California, San Diego, under the supervision of Philip Kitcher.
- A.M. Viens and Michael J. Selgelid (eds.) Emergency Ethics. Volume I of The Library of Essays on Emergency Ethics, Law and Policy. Farnham, UK: Ashgate, 2012. For more details see: http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&calcTitle=1&forthcoming=1&title_id=11726&edition_id=12095 Download flier Read more
- Christian Enemark and Michael J. Selgelid (eds.) Ethics and Security Aspects of Infectious Disease Control: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Co-edited by Farnham, UK: Ashgate, 2012. Reviews: ‘An excellent composition of scholarly analysis and reflection. It helps to clarify the concepts, arguments and further needs for research, education and policy development in a contested area of Public Health. It is ... Read more
- Michael J. Selgelid, Angela McLean, Nimalan Arinaminpathy, and Julian Savulescu (eds.) Infectious Disease Ethics: Limiting Liberty in Contexts of Contagion. Dordrecht, NE: Springer, 2011. For more details see: http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/applied+ethics/book/978-94-007-0563-0 Download flier Read more
- Seumas Miller and Michael J. Selgelid. Ethical and Philosophical Consideration of the Dual-Use Dilemma in the Biological Sciences. Dordrecht, NE: Springer, 2008. For more details see: http://www.springer.com/philosophy/ethics/book/978-1-4020-8311-2 Read review Download flier Read more
- Michael J. Selgelid. Societal Decision Making and the New Eugenics. In the Grey Series of the European Academy (Europaische Akademie) for the Study of Consequences of Scientific and Technological Advance, Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler GmbH, Germany, Nr. 30, March 2002, 62 pp.. Available (free) at http://www.ea-aw.de/fileadmin/downloads/Graue_Reihe/GR_30_Eugenics_042002.pdf Read more