Books, refereed journal articles, book chapters
- Osbaldiston, N (2012), The Great Urban Escape: Seeking Authenticity in Place, Culture and Self, Palgrave MacMillan, New York
- Osbaldiston, N (ed.) (forthcoming), The Culture of the Slow: Social Deceleration in an Accelerated World, Palgrave UK, Basingstoke
- Benson, M. & Osbaldiston, N (eds.) (forthcoming), Understanding Lifestyle Migration: Theoretical Approaches to Migration and the Quest for a Better Life, Palgrave UK, Basingstoke.
- O’Brien, P, Osbaldiston, N & Kendall, G (forthcoming), ‘ePortfolios and eGovernment: from technology to the entrepreneurial self’, Educational Philosophy and Theory, TBA.
- Osbaldiston, N & Picken, F (forthcoming), ‘The Urban Push for Environmental Amenity: Symptoms, Experiences, Resistances and Side Effects’, in A.Ragusa (ed) Contemporary Rural and Regional Communities: Lessons from Australian Communities for a Global Audience, Melbourne: Springer.
- Osbaldiston, N & Petray, T 2011, ‘The Role of Horror and Dread in the Sacred Experience’, Tourist Studies, vol.11, no.2, pp.175-190
- Osbaldiston, N & Gagnon, JP (eds.) 2011, ‘Challenging Contemporary Democracy – Themed Issue of Social Alternatives’, Social Alternatives, vol.30, no.3
- Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘The Authentic Place in Amenity Migration Discourse’, Space and Culture, vol.14, no.2, pp.214-226.
- Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘The Elementary Forms of Place in Seachange’, Journal of Sociology, vol.46, no.3, pp.239-256.
- Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘Chasing the Idyll Lifestyle: The Seachange Problem’, Social Alternatives, vol.29, no.1, pp.54-57
- Cook, P & Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘Pig Hearts and Human Bodies: A Cultural Approach to Xenotransplantation’, Media and Culture, vol.13, no.5.
- O’Brien, P & Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘ePortfolios and Preservice Teachers’, in A.Ragusa (ed.) Interaction in Communication Technologies & Virtual Learning Environments: Human Factors, IGI Global, Pennsylvania
Refereed conference papers
- Osbaldiston, N 2011, ‘Weber and Simmel in a Strong Cultural Sociology?’, in Proceedings of the Annual Australian Sociological Association Conference 2011, Newcastle University, Newcastle
- Kendall, G. & Osbaldiston, N 2010, ‘You’re Not Fit to Wear That Shirt: Towards a Cultural Sociology of the Football Shirt’, in Proceedings of the Annual Australian Sociological Association Conference 2010, Macquarie University, Sydney
- Osbaldiston, N. & Petray, T 2009, ‘Dread, Horror, Awe and Disgust: Revisiting Durkheim and Place’, in S.Lockie, D.Bissell, A.Greig, M.Hynes, D.Marsh, L.Saha, J.Sikora & D.Woodman (eds.), Proceedings of the Annual Australian Sociological Association Conference 2009, Australian National University, Canberra
Nick is available for media commentary on the following;
- Lifestyle Migration or Seachange
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Society, media and culture
- Slow lifestyle movements
- Consumer lifestyles
Examples of Nick’s engagement with the media are below;
Adventures in dumbocracy: where are the experts on Q and A (with Jean-Paul Gagnon) - link here