Professor Rita Wilson
Head of the School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics.
Monash-Warwick Associate Professor, Department of Italian, University of Warwick (UK)
Academic Co-Director, MIgration, Identity, Translation Network
Before joining Monash University in 2005, Rita taught at the University of the Witwatersrand (Johannesburg) and the University of Melbourne.
Her research interests are both interdisciplinary and intercultural, combining an interest in literary and translation theories with studies of contemporary Italian literature and culture. Her most recent publications focus on the relationship between translation, migration and the construction of cultural identities.
Teaching and research interests
- Translation Studies
- Translingual/Migrant Writing
- Contemporary Italian Literature
- Women’s Writing
Editorships and Board Memberships
Co-editor, The Translator
Member of editorial board:
- Monash University’s Arts Faculty hosted the 2014 international conference of the European Association for Studies of Australia (EASA), entitled, Encountering Australia: Transcultural Conversations. The video features the keynote address given by award-winning author and translator Franca Cavagnoli. Read more
- Monash University will be a key partner with the University of Warwick in a new research project which was awarded £1.8million in September by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) in the United Kingdom. Established research links between the Warwick Chief Investigators, Loredana Polezzi and Jennifer Burns, and researchers in Translation and Italian Studies ... Read more
- Monash University and the Università degli Studi di Trieste (Italy) are delighted to announce a new double master in Translation and Interpreting Studies. The course will provide training for future translators and interpreters working in the English-Italian pair, and a second foreign language, and will be taught by academics and professional translators and interpreters ... Read more
- The focus of the 2013 Monash Literary Translation Winter School was on crime fiction, featuring French author Dominque Sylvain and translator Jean Anderson; Italian author Carlo Lucarelli and translator Brigid Maher; Spanish author Lorenzo Silva and translator Imogen Williams. Australian author, Angela Savage participated in the authors’ panel. Read more