Bmus (VCA), MMus (VCA), PhD (Monash)
Robert Burke has enjoyed a diverse and wide-ranging career as a performer, composer and educator in music. Classically trained on the clarinet and saxophones, his main focus as a performer has been on jazz and popular rock, including eight years performing and composing with Kate Ceberano (including a top-ten Australian hit) and fifteen years with ARIA award-winning band The Black Sorrows.
Rob has performed on and contributed compositions to over 200 CDs by groups ranging from pop acts such as John Farnham, Ice House, Real Life, Vika and Linda Bull, to contemporary jazz projects with leading artists including Tony Gould, Tony Floyd, Doug De Vries, Slava Gregorian, Geoff Hughes, Nick Haywood and Stephen Magnusson.
Rob has performed /recorded with many international jazz artists including Kenny Werner, Dave Douglas, Mark Helias, Red Rodney, John Abercrombie, Paul McCandless (Origon), George Garzone, Richie Barshay, Johannes Weidenmueller (USA), Lula Galvao, Roberta Valente, Hermeto Pascoal (Brazil), Mirko Guerrini, Debasis Chakroborty (India) and Qmars Piraglu (Iran)
To School of Music Home Page
Latest News & Events
- THE POWER OF THE IDEA Rob Burke – “I will be recording a CD on the 16th of July in NY with bassist Mark Helias and Drummer ... Read more
- The latest collaborative Monash Sessions album will be launched at the Stonnington Jazz Festival this weekend. The new album sees leading Australian jazz vocalist, Vince Jones join with students from ... Read more
- In the first week of October (2013) Rob Burke recorded with legendary pianist Kenny Werner. Repertoire included original compositions from Rob Burke, Werner and Paul ... Read more
- Analysis and observations of pre-learnt and idiosyncratic elements in improvisation: a reflective study in jazz performance Dr. Robert Burke (Associate Professor) Abstract This exegesis examines influences, processes and ... Read more
- PRESENTED BY Melbourne International Jazz Festival ARTIST(S) Rob Burke & Tony Gould Quartet Rob Burke saxophone Tony Gould piano Nick Haywood bass Tony Floyd drums Terence Blanchard Quintet Terence Blanchard trumpet Thursday 7 June 2012 — 7:30 pm Elisabeth Murdoch Hall Film ... Read more