Bmus (VCA), MMus (VCA), PhD (Monash)
Robert Burke is a practice-based researcher (Artistic Research).
- Performance – Saxophone – Flute – Clarinet (CD recordings and Performances)
- Practice-based Research in Music performance (Jazz and improvisation)
- Jazz and World Music pedagogy
Robert Burke has enjoyed a diverse and wide-ranging career as a performer, composer, researcher and educator in music. Classically trained on the clarinet and saxophones, his main focus as a performer has been in jazz and popular music, including eight years performing and composing with Kate Ceberano (including a top-ten Australian hit) and fifteen years with ARIA award-winning band The Black Sorrows.
Rob has performed on and contributed compositions to over 200 CDs by groups ranging from pop acts such as John Farnham, Ice House, Real Life, Vika and Linda Bull, to contemporary jazz projects with leading artists including Tony Gould, Paul Grabowsky, Vince Jones, Tony Floyd, Doug De Vries, Slava Gregorian, Geoff Hughes, Nick Haywood, Paul Williamson, Jordan Murray and Stephen Magnusson.
Rob has performed /recorded with many international jazz artists including Kenny Werner, Mark Helias, Nasheet Waits, Tom Rainey, Enrico Rava Dave Douglas, George Lewis, Red Rodney, John Abercrombie, Paul McCandless (Origon), George Garzone, Richie Barshay, Johannes Weidenmueller (USA), Lula Galvao, Roberta Valente, Hermeto Pascoal (Brazil), Mirko Guerrini, Debasis Chakroborty (India) and Qmars Piraglu (Iran)
To School of Music Home Page
Latest News & Events
- Canto a tenore, a traditional Sardinian folk music can take a bit of getting used to: it’s like a polyphonic throat singing barbershop quartet. Sometimes ... Read more
- On the 16th of July 2014 Associate Professor Rob Burke recorded a CD in NY with bassist Mark Helias and Drummer Nasheet Waits; both ... Read more
- In the first week of October (2013) Rob Burke recorded with legendary pianist Kenny Werner. Repertoire included original compositions from Rob Burke, Werner and ... Read more
- The latest collaborative Monash Sessions album will be launched at the Stonnington Jazz Festival this weekend. The new album sees leading Australian jazz vocalist, Vince Jones join with students from ... Read more
- Analysis and observations of pre-learnt and idiosyncratic elements in improvisation: a reflective study in jazz performance Read more