Bmus (VCA), MMus (VCA), PhD (Monash)
Robert Burke is a practice-based researcher (Artistic Research).
- Performance – Saxophone – Flute – Clarinet (CD recordings and Performances)
- Practice-based Research in Music performance (Jazz and improvisation)
- Jazz and World Music pedagogy
Robert Burke has enjoyed a diverse and wide-ranging career as a performer, composer, researcher and educator in music. Classically trained on the clarinet and saxophones, his main focus as a performer has been in jazz and popular music, including eight years performing and composing with Kate Ceberano (including a top-ten Australian hit) and fifteen years with ARIA award-winning band The Black Sorrows.
Rob has performed /recorded with many international jazz artists including Kenny Werner, Mark Helias, Nasheet Waits, Tom Rainey, Enrico Rava Dave Douglas, George Lewis, Red Rodney, John Abercrombie, Paul McCandless (Origon), George Garzone, Richie Barshay, Johannes Weidenmueller (USA), Lula Galvao, Roberta Valente, Hermeto Pascoal (Brazil), Mirko Guerrini, Debasis Chakroborty (India) and Qmars Piraglu (Iran)
To School of Music Home Page
Latest News & Events
- Perspectives on Artistic Research in Music I would like to announce the publication of a new book: ‘Perspectives on Artistic Research in Music’ – edited by ... Read more
- Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music – Monash University in collaboration with The University of Melbourne present: Australasian Jazz Research Conference (Planning the Future) Convenors: A/Prof Robert Burke and Dr Rob Vincs Areas ... Read more
- Canto a tenore, a traditional Sardinian folk music can take a bit of getting used to: it’s like a polyphonic throat singing barbershop quartet. Sometimes ... Read more
- On the 16th of July 2014 Associate Professor Rob Burke recorded a CD in NY with bassist Mark Helias and Drummer Nasheet Waits; both ... Read more
- In the first week of October (2013) Rob Burke recorded with legendary pianist Kenny Werner. Repertoire included original compositions from Rob Burke, Werner and ... Read more
- The latest collaborative Monash Sessions album will be launched at the Stonnington Jazz Festival this weekend. The new album sees leading Australian jazz vocalist, Vince Jones join with students from ... Read more
- Analysis and observations of pre-learnt and idiosyncratic elements in improvisation: a reflective study in jazz performance Read more