Welcome! I currently supervise one of the world’s largest groups of PhD students from Asian countries pursuing research on Asian performance topics. Many are enrolled in practice-based PhDs while others are engaged in ‘traditional’ scholarship. For the last 10 years my research has been focused on community-based performance in the Philippines, much of it related to religious or civic festivals where the boundaries between ritual, dance and dramatic enactments are blurred, while local and national politics and the transnational flows of Filipino labour and culture contribute to a uniquely complex performance culture. I have taught at five universities in four countries (Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, US) and was involved in setting up the theatre programs at the National University of Singapore (1992-1995) and the University of Waikato in Hamilton, New Zealand (1995-1998). From 2007-11 and again in 2012 I was Head of the Centre for Theatre and Performance.
- “Dancing Natives, Dancing Nation: From Bayan to Bayanihan in the Philippines” by Dr William Peterson Date: 28 Jan 2014 Time: 16:00 – 17:30 Venue: ARI Seminar Room Tower Block Level 10, 469A Bukit Timah Road National University of Singapore @ BTC Description: CHAIRPERSON Dr Paul Rae, Department of English Language and Literature, National University of Singapore ABSTRACT On May 27th, 1958 a fledgling company comprised of young dancers, ... Read more
- “The Invention of Folk Dance in the Philippines: Who are the ‘folk’ and who are the ‘natives’?” Details at: sem14_2201 and at: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/hist/doc/sem14_2201.pdf Read More... Read more
- Commencement of Visiting Senior Research Fellowship at the Asia Research Institute, National University of SingaporeWill is currently a Visiting Senior Research Fellow in the Cultural Studies Cluster at the Asia Research Institute (ARI) at the National University of Singapore. ARI is one of the world’s leading institutes supporting scholarship on Asia and its fellowships are extremely competitive (less than 10% acceptance rate). Earlier in 2013, Will completed a three-month ... Read more
- As part of my residency at the International Institute for Asian Studies (University of Leiden), on 17 October I am presenting a paper entitled, “Taking it to the Streets: Manila’s Aliwan Fiesta and Development of the Cultural Industries in the Philippines” at the Institute for Social Sciences, the Hague, which is affiliated with the Erasmus Rotterdam ... Read more
- Awarded two prestigious international fellowships to complete book on performance in the PhilippinesWill has been awarded two prestigious fellowships to complete his manuscript of Emplacing Happiness: Community, the Self and Performance in the Philippines. From August-October 2013 he will be a visiting Fellow at the international Institute for Asian Studies at the University of Leiden, followed by a Senior Fellowship at the Asia Research Institute at the ... Read more